Heritage Lottery Funded
In June 2017 Seaton Tramway was very pleased to receive the news of a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), Heritage Grants, Round 1 pass for a project to work with partners and undertake in-depth engagement with visitors, staff, volunteers and new audiences through an ambitious programme of new interpretation, facilities, training, learning, events and long-term activities.
With the development of the new station at Seaton, this was the ideal time to undertake the project. HLF have provided development funding and an in-principle delivery grant of £420,000 as part of an overall project cost of £682,300.
As part of the development phase during 2018 staff, volunteers and consultants will be developing detailed plans for the Tramway which will provide:
- Greater opportunities for visitors to find out and learn more about the Tramway, the heritage of the line and the natural heritage with new interpretation in the new Seaton station, at Colyton station and at other points along the route. Interpretation will also link with Seaton Wetlands with interpretation panels and live webcams.
- A range of opportunities for visitors to participate in new activities during their visit with an extensive programme of new activities is planned involving special events, participation activities and creative projects
- Greater access to the Tramway and its environs by a new Seaton Marshes halt and access during set times to the Riverside Depot Tramway workshop
- Participation opportunities for new audience groups, in particular supporting people with dementia and people living with mental health problems and develop proposals for a creative filmmaking project led by young people.
- Extended training, apprenticeship and work experience opportunities,
- An enhanced programme of learning opportunities for informal and formal learners, in particular working closely with local schools and colleges in STEM subject areas and in partnership with Seaton Jurassic and Seaton Wetlands.
- In the new Seaton station, provide an exciting and versatile venue for events, performances, screening and community activities – working closely with other local providers and events.
- The development of the existing partnerships in and around Seaton and in particular with Seaton Jurassic, Seaton Wetlands, the Devon Wildlife Trust and the Jurassic Coast Trust
March 2019 Seaton Tramway was successfully awarded National Lottery Heritage funding of £420,000 for their ‘Travels through Heritage and The Axe Valley’ project. If you have particular ideas or want to be involved please contact us [email protected]